Tuesday 9 August 2011

Why You Shouldn't Learn English From Hip-Hip Songs

I could just state the obvious, but I think a short story I just made up will illustrate this so much better.

[Interview room, would-be MC is applying for a job]
- Good morning, have a seat.
- Holla.
- Tell me about yourself.
- Nah. I was told that freestyle rapping is not permitted. Come past my crib and you’ll know soon enough.
- Interesting. What parts of your education do you see as relevant to this position?
- All I know I learned in the streets. Have you seen Slumdog Millionaire? It's pretty much my resume. Only I'm black.
- You look pretty white.
- I might have a white skin, but I have a black heart though.
- Okay then. What is your experience in direct sale?
- I used to sell rock... I mean pharmaceuticals for headache, mostly. My high school niggas were my first target group.
- Excuse me?
- Did I say it out loud? Scratch that.
- How do you handle stress and pressure?
- Outstanding. I have a drug for that. Prescription drug obviously.
- Why do you want to work here?
- Except for the loot? I'd want some paper. That goes without saying. But really I look for new challenges in my life. Plus I really need insurance.  Full bennies or I’m out.
- Thank you. We're going to call you.

This reminds me of some other famous job interview:


If you understood everything Spud said, with his glamorous Scottish accent, then you deserve a black belt in English.


No comments:

Post a Comment